TSP have been fortunate enough to have worked on a considerable number of Primary Schools across the South Coast. Good school design matters. It is about the education and life chances of young people. Evidence shows a clear link between well designed schools and pupil performance and behaviour.
TSP have considerable experience in terms of utilising Building Bulletin 103; Area Guidelines for Mainstream Schools and for Primary Schools its predecessor Building Bulletin 99 – Briefing Framework for Primary Schools Projects. We utilise the CABE checklist published in its publication “Creating Excellent Primary Schools – A Guide for Clients” and aim to produce:-
- A high quality that inspires users to learn and is rooted in the community.
- A sustainable approach to design, construction, environmental servicing and travel to schools.
- Good use of the site, balancing the needs of pedestrians, cyclists and motorcyclist, and enhancing the schools presence in the community.
- Buildings and grounds that are welcoming, safe and secure, and inviting to the community while protective of the children.
- Good organisation of spaces in plan and section, easily legible and fully accessible.
- Internal spaces that are well proportioned, fit for purpose and meet the needs of the curriculum.
- Flexible design to support transformation, allowing for short-term changes for layout and use, and for long-term expansion or contraction.
- Good environmental conditions throughout, including optimum levels of natural light and ventilation.
- Well-designed external spaces offering a variety of different settings for leisure, learning and sport.
A simple palette of attractive materials, detailed carefully to be durable